January 5, 2010

Avatar


A few weeks out and it's already made one billion twenty five million dollars, shooting up to the fourth highest grossing movie of all time. The only ones to top it are Titanic (also directed by James Cameron), Return of the King, and Dead Man’s Chest.

Just because a lot of people have seen it doesn’t mean it’s a spectacular movie though. Cameron’s directed a lot of popular movies in the past so of course this movie was hyped up a ton. What I’ll say is this, I like Avatar, but it’s definitely not in my top ten.

Some of the visuals are excellent; I’m impressed with the world that was created for this movie. I liked the forest scenes with all of the interesting plants and insects, like the flower that would shrink if you touched it.

For those of you who are action fans, I’m sure you’d have even more to admire as far as effects go. Personally, I usually avoid movies that are overly action-based, and only watched Avatar because a number of people who know me—and my taste in movies—recommended it to me.

Although I think Avatar’s a little lacking in good dialogue and characterization, I still enjoyed the love story and the overall message of the movie. The parallels between the colonel and his crew and the Bush administration were striking, especially when the colonel says, “you have to fight terror with terror,” and when he calls for a preemptive strike against the Na’vi. It was interesting to see the progression of Sam Worthington’s character Jake Sully and how he comes to realize how ridiculous the colonel is, twisted with hate and power.

Also, I think it’s cool that a linguistics professor at a college in California created the Na’vi language for Avatar so that it would stand on its own without borrowing too much from any single already-existing language.

I saw Avatar in 3D, but I actually think I would have liked the movie better without it. Sometimes the 3D effects just hurt my eyes because images in the front weren’t always totally in focus. So, overall it’s a good movie. I’d definitely recommend it for anyone who likes action and/or science fiction and fantasy.

4 comments:

  1. I watched the movie in IMAX 3D and the whole experience was awesome. I think this is the kind of movie which would not be as enjoyable or not as awesome if seen at home. What do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I watched it in plain ol' 2D but I think it'd be a fine-watch at home too. But, only once. I don't think this is the kind of movie someone would like to watch all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it in IMAX 3D as well, and I enjoyed the experience. I never knew about the linguistics aspect of the film. That's cool. And I agree with Pallav, it's good to see once or twice because personally, I don't like re-watching movies that are ~3 hours long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. The number of times I've watched some Bollywood movies...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails