The band was formed by Portland's finest--Israel Nebeker and Ryan Dombrowski--and eventually grew to nine members, with instruments ranging from a mountain dulcimer to a vibraphone. The two met while in college in Oregon and after reading their myspace biography, I realize that most of their inspiration draws from seaside landscapes. In fact, their name is derived from the river's pilot boats which help steer freight barges to the dock. When asked about the inspiration for the title 3 Rounds and a Sound, Nebeker stated that it was inspired from a Chinese phrase,
" The expression is something you say to a newly wed couple. They represent the necessities you need in life: a round bike wheel, a round clock face, a round spool of thread and the sound is radio. You need to have all of these essential needs met in order to get married."Anyway, let's go back to my story, well before I spent an hour or so stalking them online. When I listened to Israel Nebeker's voice last night, I got serious chills. I opened up the two-page CD booklet and read along to the lyrics, which were like the richest sentences in awe-inspiring short stories. Nebeker writes most of his songs and each one takes you on a devout personal journey. Yes, I realize that one could say that about many songs but there's something about the way he delivers each song, the way his voice intimately dances with each word and spins it out for you to linger over and then set free so that the story continues on its quest.
If you get a chance, check out this video. You might understand what I'm trying to articulate after seeing the way the CD's most achingly haunting song is delivered. Interestingly, apparently both Nebeker and Dombrowski are avid cyclists and they went on a bike tour starting from Vancouver all the way to San Francisco, where their bikes were unfortunately stolen. Whether they played for a crowd of ten to a full house, they were grateful for each performance and enjoyed the opportunity to be doing what they love. I think that's what life should be about.

Whoa! I just heard some of their songs and they are really good!
ReplyDelete