
After the incessantly annoying, “Oh, you haven’t read The Alchemist? Tch tch tch…” from every Tom, Dick & Harry, I finally got my hands on the Paulo Coelho masterpiece from the library near my university. I guess I have to thank my forthcoming exams for the spur-of-the-moment urge to read this book.
Surprisingly, Wikipedia does not have much info about this particular book which made me wonder – either most did not understand a word of it or they understood so much that they’re too moved to pen their review. Falling in the in-between category, here I am putting forth details of the plot & my own humble review of the book.
The story is about a young Spanish shepherd who has a dream of finding treasure in the Pyramids of Egypt. As he undertakes this quest to meet ‘The Alchemist’ & reach the Pyramids, he meets different types of people with different attitudes & beliefs. He learns to understand the language of the Earth through the desert to reach his destiny. He is made to understand that the real treasure is where the heart belongs. The ending of the book is quite a shocker & I was utterly thrown back in my comfort seat. This is a must read for those with an interest in philosophy!
Throughout the book, there are bursts of optimism which did give me respite from the present day cynicism. The aim of the author I realize, is to instill that belief in us that nothing is impossible if we set our hearts to it which is beautifully portrayed in this one favourite quote of mine – “When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help him realize his dream.”
I fear in today’s world, it is very hard to relate to this novel but a tip of mine would be – Read this book after watching a Jim Carrey movie…you’ll experience the term ‘sober down’. Honestly, I fear Mr. Coelho lives in a beautiful, imaginary world of his own for today, people have stopped dreaming. I am not being cynical here but brutally honest.
This review is purely to give me the satisfaction of asking this question :
Surprisingly, Wikipedia does not have much info about this particular book which made me wonder – either most did not understand a word of it or they understood so much that they’re too moved to pen their review. Falling in the in-between category, here I am putting forth details of the plot & my own humble review of the book.
The story is about a young Spanish shepherd who has a dream of finding treasure in the Pyramids of Egypt. As he undertakes this quest to meet ‘The Alchemist’ & reach the Pyramids, he meets different types of people with different attitudes & beliefs. He learns to understand the language of the Earth through the desert to reach his destiny. He is made to understand that the real treasure is where the heart belongs. The ending of the book is quite a shocker & I was utterly thrown back in my comfort seat. This is a must read for those with an interest in philosophy!
Throughout the book, there are bursts of optimism which did give me respite from the present day cynicism. The aim of the author I realize, is to instill that belief in us that nothing is impossible if we set our hearts to it which is beautifully portrayed in this one favourite quote of mine – “When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help him realize his dream.”
I fear in today’s world, it is very hard to relate to this novel but a tip of mine would be – Read this book after watching a Jim Carrey movie…you’ll experience the term ‘sober down’. Honestly, I fear Mr. Coelho lives in a beautiful, imaginary world of his own for today, people have stopped dreaming. I am not being cynical here but brutally honest.
This review is purely to give me the satisfaction of asking this question :
“Oh, you haven’t read The Alchemist? Tch tch tch…”
Cheers!
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment