April 15, 2010

"We Got Married While You Were Asleep...?"


My seven favorite Icelanders, known as Seabear, came out with their second album this past March. Unbeknownst to me, it is possible for ears to smile.

To put it simply, "We Built A Fire" takes the listener on a pleasant journey. The group still retains its ability to combine mellow, haunting, and sometimes whimsical sounds, ultimately producing an album containing a rather eclectic group of songs. While there was very little variation in the vocals contributed to "The Ghost That Carried Us Away," this newer album seems to be more of a collaborative project, where we can hear various members showcase their voices.

For those of you interested in what "you" did when "you" woke up and found out "you" was married, listen to "Wooden Teeth." Although playful sounding, the closer you (the real you, not "you") listen, the more you feel the narrator's pain. Also on fire was the group's single, "I'll Build You A Fire." I found both the song and video to be a beautiful ode to self-discovery.

And finally, I'll let you take what you want from these lyrics from "Leafmask" :

"Put on your leaf mask and let the fire die.
I'd rather climb trees than sing with you.
Put on your leaf mask and let the light out. Let the day bleed through your nose.
Took your pale hand to shake it, but you said you'd rather sing alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails