January 2, 2010

"I Am A Scarecrow In Disguise"


I’ve come to the conclusion that guilty pleasures do indeed have a purpose in life other than giving you something to sheepishly admit to participating in when the conversation lulls. Once in a while, a gem may be hiding within this activity that causes such chagrin. This was the case when I recently watched season two of Gossip Girl on DVD. Mindless teenager-oriented plotlines aside, the show has an impeccable soundtrack. So began my fascination with Seabear.
Seabear is a folk band consisting of seven Icelanders (fun fact: at 99.9%, Iceland has the highest literacy rate in the world). Lead singer Sindri Mar Sigfusson's haunting voice laments past relationships by using plenty of imagery and metaphorical references to animals. The band’s lyrics read like poetry, with each song telling its own story. From the upbeat sound of Libraries to the more sorrowful sounds of You’re Not Strange Enough and Cat Piano, Seabear makes me feel feelings I didn’t know I could feel.

If you enjoy Seabear, try listening to Sin Fang Bous, Sindri's solo project.

P.S. Do yourself a favor and watch the band’s video of Arms. It’s so simple, it’s beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. "Seabear makes me feel feelings I didn't know I could feel". Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails