I'm actually happy that I saw this movie later rather than sooner so that I can speak freely, without the fear of spoiling the fun for any of you. For one, the movie lived up to all the hype and furore that surrounded me this past week. When I walked out of the movie hall, I had a couple of complaints but let me focus on the positives which were very easily the highlight of the film.
The movie was a complete delight to watch especially for someone from India. But I guess it came out a decade too late. A decade earlier, and I'd have the slightest chance of not facing what I did. Anyway, in my opinion, all major characters bring in unforgettable performances. Be it Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad a.k.a. Rancho, played by Aamir Khan and around who the movie revolves or the teenage boy, nicknamed Millimeter, who takes care of the students' supplies; everyone leaves an imprint on your mind. The pressures faced by students in the classroom and the environment at home are brought out very accurately in the process. At the end, it's an impeccable satire on the Indian education system.
Moving on, I couldn't help but notice the blatant plagiarism in some scenes. The description of the astronaut pen and Rancho's reply about the pencil is very old. And the scene where Rancho mixes up Farhan, Raju and his papers with the others after asking the invigilator if he knew who they were has been picked up word for word from a television commercial (Instant Kiwi Lottery). Besides that, let's not even get into the Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
These elements soured* my experience in the hall but, believe me, the movie is par excellence. A job well done. I concur with Chetan Bhagat when he wonders how Abhijat Joshi and Rajkumar Hirani will pick up Best Writer awards through the new year having done what they did, but let that not keep you from witnessing something special.
*I like OJ.

I felt that this movie was probably just about 10% of Five Point Someone. Sure, the the plot and the situation is lifted from the book. But the story was very original. This was a hardcore Bollywood masala flick.
ReplyDeleteIt was the best movie to come out this year. Nothing else came even close.
haha, i LOVE the "I like OJ." part!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Movie.... And it was at least 70% the book.... The characters and everything.... But, people really needed this movie after, the bollywood fiasco of 2009.....
ReplyDelete