January 29, 2010

Music Review: My Name Is Khan

I'm really excited for this one. It's called My Name Is Khan and technically, it's a Bollywood brainchild, but the makers have partnered with 21st Century Fox internationally and that's one of main reasons I'm so excited. I don't remember any other Bollywood movie in the past that was destined with such a big global opening. Bollywood movies receive a lot of attention in Europe but don't fare very well in the Americas but this time round, with a partner in Fox, I believe My Name Is Khan will be promising. The movie comes out on February 12th. There are two promos for the movie. Personally, I find the Hindi one much better than the international version in English. Here it is. But all that lies in the future. For now, the music is out and I love it!

Now, some of you may be familiar with the type of Bollywood cinema that has song and dance with "actresses running around trees". Well, you're a bit behind on Indian cinema, I'll say. A decade or so, perhaps. Anyway, My Name Is Khan is one of those Hindi movies that, I like to say, has a soundtrack. Background scores. No lip-syncing in this one, apparently.

So, I'll start off with my favorite. It's called Noor-E-Khuda and it's divine. Asking God to show himself, the lyrics leave me silent and at peace. I'd also like to point out that you can see (hear, rather) a discerning presence of Sufi music that's divine as it is. My other favorites from the album are Tere Naina and Sajda, both of which are great tunes that I feel compelled to hum. Rang De and Allah Hi Rahem come lower down in my list, but I like them all the same. There's also an instrumental theme called Khan Theme in the album.

Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy are known in India for their unforgettable music and they've come out with another great soundtrack. Oh, and let me add that Karan Johar (Director) has chosen to employ a great piece of marketing skill by adding some some of the best songs from his previous films with Shahrukh Khan into the album. That'll surely get the album sales up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails